A father whose daughter died after struggling with alcoholism for several years was devastated when he lost his “best friend and soul mate,” according to an investigation.
Lucy Jane West, 34 years old and from Guildford, died on June 19 and had a “significant history of alcohol addiction,” assistant coroner Karen Henderson said Monday (September 6).
The Woking coroner overheard Mrs. West staying at her father’s house two days before she died, and she appeared in high spirits.
READ MORE: Wokinger Gärtner Who Died of Serious Head Injury Was Unlawfully Killed, Coroner’s Rules
Ms. Henderson said, “Her mother said alcohol was a problem for Lucy for five years and it ultimately defeated her. She tried to help Lucy with her addiction, but it was hard.”
She added, “She stayed with him on June 17th [Mr West’s] House. He thought she might be on the way to recovery. “
Despite texts to her mother stating that everything was fine, the court heard that Ms. West bought a few cans of cider on June 19.
She was found at her home by her mother after she died later that day. A toxicological report found that she had a blood alcohol level of 331 mg per 100 ml at this point.
When you sign up for the SurreyLive newsletter you will receive our daily news email.
It couldn’t be easier and it takes seconds – just press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
On most desktop and mobile platforms, you can also enter your address in the box below the picture at the top of this page.
Changed your mind? There is an unsubscribe button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.
Ms. Henderson read a testimony from Ms. West’s father as evidence and told the court, “He said he was devastated that Lucy had died and that she was not only his daughter but also his best friend and soul mate.”
Ms. Henderson has officially cited inhalation pneumonitis, alcohol toxicity, and cirrhosis as the cause of death.
Ms. Henderson offered her condolences to the family and said: “[Ms West] had significant alcohol dependence for five years or more.
“This led to her having medical complications from alcohol addiction, such as cirrhosis of the liver.
“Although there was a will to give up alcohol, it was difficult to achieve in practice.”
It was alcohol-induced vomiting that led directly to her death, concluded Ms. Henderson, noting that it happened against a background of alcohol addiction.
Sign up for our daily newsletter to receive more SurreyLive news straight to your inbox. Here’s how.