Police nab second suspect in Whispering Wind Bear Spirit’s death

Police arrested the second suspect on Friday, charged with a botched robbery that resulted in the shooting of 41-year-old Whispering Wind Bear Spirit in May.

The US Marshals Task Force arrests Nicholas Samuel Strada, 17, on the first block of West Pennsylvania Avenue in Stewartstown, according to a press release.

More:York man on trial for shooting Whispering Wind Bear Spirit

More:Four charged with robbery in connection with the York City murder; 2 still at large

Strada, located on the 100 block of East College Avenue in York City, is in custody pending charges, York City Police spokesman Lt. Dan Lentz, on Friday morning.

He is charged with criminal homicide, conspiracy to commit criminal homicide, robbery with aggravated assault, conspiracy for that robbery, burglary with assault and conspiracy for that break-in. All are first-degree offenses.

Strada is accused of shooting Whispering Wind Bear Spirit – formerly known as Jennifer Jean Makos – on May 3 in a house on 300 block of Smyser Street, police said.

Strada’s older brother, Ryan Craig Strada, 20, of the 800 block of Cedar Village Avenue in York City, is also charged with criminal homicide and robbery related to the shootings.

Strada once shot Spirit in the torso at the home of her friend Oscar Fink, who testified that the Strada brothers had broken into his home unannounced and unsolicited to confront him about stolen marijuana the night of the shooting, according to court records.

Spirit – who according to authorities was hearing impaired and wore hearing aids – tried to defend the house from the intruders, was caught in the confrontation and, according to court records, was fatally shot.

The Strada brothers and four other people, who were also charged in connection with the murder, fled when Spirit was shot, according to police. Fink said his wife called 911 when she came downstairs and saw Spirit lying on the floor.

The police responded around 11:30 p.m. on May 3. Spirit was admitted to WellSpan York Hospital and died of liver damage during surgery, police said.

Leave a Comment