Hear in multiple languages! Click on the “red world symbol” below. Thank you for being part of the Meditation Life Skills Community!
Spread the love and make the world a better place!
Getting good quality sleep is one of those things everyone knows they should do – but many people actually struggle with it. Poor quality sleep and too little sleep can lead to increased stress and anxiety and make it difficult to concentrate during the day.
28 Mindfulness Techniques and Ideas to Make Your Life Better
Having a proper sleep schedule is one of the best things you can do for your mind and body. Here are some ways to improve the quality of your sleep that can have a positive impact on the rest of your life.
Tidy up your sleeping area
The room you sleep in has a bigger impact on the quality of your sleep than you might think. Sleeping in a messy room can make it difficult to fall asleep and it can also affect the quality of sleep. Your brain is so busy processing all of the visual stimuli in your room that it takes longer to shut down properly. A more minimalistic decor in your room can improve your ability to fall asleep and stay asleep by reducing the number of stimuli your brain has to process.
Reduce blue light consumption before bed
Blue light is the spectrum of light that we most commonly associate with computer screens. It is not uncommon these days to look at our phone or watch TV until you fall asleep. One of the best ways to improve the quality of your sleep is to avoid getting blue light in your eyes right before bed. This blue light keeps your brain active when it needs rest and makes it difficult for you to fall asleep quickly.
Stick to a stricter schedule
Sleep quality is often at the bottom of the priority list of things we want to do during the day. However, you should at least fall asleep and wake up at the same time each day if you can. Creating a sleep pattern will help your body know the right time to rest and the right time to wake up. Forcing yourself to sleep can be difficult at first, but it gets easier the more you do it.
Get more natural light during the day
Humans did not evolve indoors, but our internal clocks change depending on our surroundings. If you stay indoors all day and don’t get enough natural light, your body can become confused about what time of day it is and when to start relaxing. If your body isn’t sure when to relax, it will make it harder to settle down for the evening. Natural light aligns your internal clock correctly so that you can fall asleep when needed.
15 tips for dealing with insomnia
Insomnia and poor sleep quality can happen. Everyone struggles to fall asleep sometimes. It can be frustrating to just lie in bed and want nothing other than to just fall asleep. The longer it takes, the more concerned you become.
28 Mindfulness Techniques and Ideas to Make Your Life Better
Fortunately, we can all survive without a few nights of sleep, but it can be uncomfortable. It also makes everyday life more difficult until we are trapped in our sleep again.
This is how you naturally improve the quality of sleep
Actively deal with insomnia and sleep quality:
1. Get up on time. Sleeping in can lead to insomnia. Maybe you aren’t up long enough at night to be tired. Make sure you get up on time even if you haven’t slept well. Otherwise, you’ll just make yourself more challenging.
2. Get up earlier. You might get up on time, but you just sleep too much. Some people need less sleep than others. Experiment with waking up earlier.
3. Listen to guided meditation in bed to really improve the quality of your sleep. If your mind is racing while lying in bed, try a guided meditation recording. Many people report falling asleep quickly while using these products.
Buddha’s Mind Deep Sleep meditation music
4. Do something spiritual every day. Perhaps the opposite is true. You can be physically active all day but little mental activity. You need both to improve and control the quality of your sleep.
5. Avoid eating within three hours of bedtime. Digesting food is very energy-intensive and can be very stimulating. Give your body a few hours to digest your food before trying to fall asleep.
6. Avoid caffeine. Caffeine can be a challenge for many people. The medical community often suggests a 2:00 p.m. cut-off time.
7. Avoid drinking within two hours of bedtime. Avoid drinking liquids within two hours of bedtime. This should be enough time for your body to process the fluids and you can empty your bladder before bed. Otherwise, you might get up in the middle of the night to use the toilet.
8. Use your bedroom only for sleeping. Avoid watching TV, reading, or working in your bedroom. The bedroom is for sleeping.
9. Find the best temperature for you. If you’re too hot or too cold, you won’t sleep either.
10. Change your mattress. Maybe you need a new mattress. Most people have a clear preference for the firmness or softness of the mattress. Does your mattress sag? If possible, spend some money on a good mattress to improve the quality of your sleep.
11. Avoid alcohol. Alcohol is a sedative. It affects your ability to sleep. Just because it makes you sleepy doesn’t mean it will help you sleep well.
12. Avoid naps. If you sleep during the day, you may have more sleep problems at night.
13. Get up when you cannot sleep. Avoid lying in bed too long if you find yourself unable to sleep. Get up and do something relaxing. This will improve the quality of your sleep when you go back to bed and stay awake until you are tired and think you can sleep.
14. Turn off the TV and do something less stimulating before bed. If you’re watching TV right before bed, consider switching to another activity. Reading, listening to music, or meditating can all help you get a good night’s sleep.
15. Do something physical every day. If you are mentally stimulated all day but not receiving enough physical stimulation, you may have trouble sleeping at night.
Try not to get upset about the occasional bout of insomnia. You’ll be fine. If you frequently have trouble falling asleep, try the tips above or make an appointment with your doctor. You will sleep like a baby and the quality of your sleep will soon improve.